Today, I had a great interview with Brian Aubert of Silversun Pickups, who, like many other traveling musicians, loves the Slowdown. This time, though, they'll be at Sokol for a much larger show. Aubert hopes to have more time to hang out in Omaha on this trip. I also spoke to Matt Johnson from the duo Matt & Kim. Look for stories on both in the coming weeks.
Between that and several other stories I'm working on (check out the stolen band gear thing, maybe you can help), it's been a busy day.
• "Indie rock" was a category on college Jeopardy during the last few weeks, causing this article to declare "it's over." Ha!
• If you don't read TextsFromLastNight.com, you should. Here's a funny one about MGMT.
• O+S' video for "We Do What We Want To" is up over at stereogum. The new single is also available at iTunes. O+S is Orenda Fink (of Azure Ray and Art in Manila) and The Scalpelist (a.k.a. Cedric Lemoyne from Remy Zero), one of this year's new Saddle Creek groups.
• Them Crooked Vultures (that's the supergroup of Dave Grohl, Josh Homme and John Paul Jones) has another new video.
• Cameron Crowe directed Pearl Jam's new video for "The Fixer." Do you think the "Almost Famous" director did a good job?
• Speaking of Pearl Jam, a new song leaked.
• After the Rural Alberta Advantage show at Slowdown a few months ago, I got to talk to lead singer Nils Edenloff again. One of the nicest band guys that I've ever met. Here's an interview he did with Culture Bully.
• Canadian sisters Tegan & Sara are doing a new album and a few NY and Cali tour dates. Great show last year in Omaha at Sokol. I'd definitely see them again, even just to hear them talk in between songs.
• I'm all for girls in rock bands, but some ladies feel a lot of resistance. A new book should help out a bit.